Sunday 5 January 2014

Saving Mac External Monitor Configurations

In OSX 10.8.3, I encountered an issue with external monitors where unplugging and restablishing the external monitor would cause the position to reset, which was annoying for every time I reconnected my laptop. A fix that seems to work properly is below:

Got a Mac Pro 2008 model with 2 x 5770 cards (Apple Ones) running 10.8.4 and 6 screens. Had this problem since I bought this unit about 8 months ago and been running latest release all through this period. Screen would lose settings after power off but also just on reboot. Complete PRAM zap, replaced CR2032 battery inside (just in case) worked through all discussed fixes. So reading the thread tonight it appears that our Admin users don't have the rights to change the setting perminantly. So.... I setup the root user account and then logged in, usual problem with screens all over the place. Reset them and then rebooted. All fixed! Have done this a few times now so not just a fluke. Will have to do a cold start and leave the unit off for a couple of days. Have a go and let me know if you also get the same results. Very interested as I was thinking it was my old hardware and it was going to get skipped and replaced with a 2010 12 core but I'm glad I haven't now as I would still have this issue!

Here is the link to setting up root. Usual caveats apply. With great power comes great responsibility Take care!



Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4157760?start=75&tstart=0

No comments:

Post a Comment